Someday, the altered art you make today will be
old, faded, falling apart, and someone else will salvage the bits and use them
in new altered art.It's the best that any piece of art can hope for

~ anon~


Click on the tabs below for some other stuff

............................................................................................................

Sunday 17 May 2009

Altered Dolls, Castles and Cake

Men kick friendship around like a football, but it doesn't seem to crack. Women treat it like glass and it goes to pieces.
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh

When Debs set out a challenge to Alter a Doll I have to say I didn't jump at the chance... OK I admit Dolls scare me a bit, especially the ones that actually look like proper babies... how freaky are they?? And I will be ever thankful that my daughter was never really into dolls, it was music to my ears when she made me promise never to buy her one of those Bratz things that all her friends were mad over, because 'Mummy they are so horrible' !

Women scare me nearly as much..... Gawd aren't women complicated! So this is the thinking behind this project. Women have so many other people in their lives , the family they care for and organise, friends, workmates, relations, other mums, enemies....... we all try to live up to other women standards, we diet for other women, dress for other women, try to out do and impress other women. We say one thing and mean another, we listen to one thing but hear another...... Men are so less complicated!
Anyway... back to the challenge and away from me trying to sound like I actually think about things!
As I had set the challenge of altering a picture frame at the same time Debs set this Doll watsit, I was going to combine the two....
Problem one: Can't find the Shadow Box Frame I know I have somewhere.
No Problem I will use a normal frame and turn it into a box frame using some foam board
Problem Two: Can't find the Foamboard.
So here is an Altered Book. The book itself has only had a Niche cut out of it and the cover has just been painted black. Nothing else added, decided to leave it plain and simple. The lady of no name came from the £1 shop... small foul Barbie type thing. Now I do have a terrible confession to make, you may think me evil, but boy it was fun.... her face was sliced off on readiness for a clay face to be stuck on it.
I am trying to be a bit brighter in my colour schemes, and the niche was originally painted bright pink.... obviously I am not destined to succeed cos as you can see it isn't so bright now!


On a lighter note, we as a family have had quite a crafty weekend.... here is Edwards Medieval castle..... He is Neil Buchanan's (Art Attack Fame) biggest fan and thinks he has the best job in the world! Amazing what you can do with a polystyrene cup, a few toilet rolls and some PVA and kitchen roll!
Georgina hasn't been idle either.... When you have the best Grandma she deserves a Birthday Cake!!

7 comments:

  1. oh WOW Nicks, she is totally awesome!

    The castle and the cake are terrific too.

    Debs H

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you do it ? that has me speechless its fantastic. You are just so talented. well done
    Hugs June xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is what you call altered!! I'm also a bit cautious about dolls (did you ever see that documentary about those women who collect those baby ones - weird....) which is why I haven't leapt at this challenge but this is awesome Nicks!! Great work as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant Nicks. I'm with you about dolls.. Ma showed me a pic on the back of her magazine for a collectors doll that sucks on a dummy and wets it's nappy like a real baby....for gawd's sake!!!!
    Also with you on chopping off bits! I chopped off lots of bits making paper dolls (usually the head cos I couldn't get the faces right!!!LOL) Funny farm..... book me in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow .....Wow ...and wow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that quote at the top and thanks for sharing the thoughts behind your piece of work - it's great and I'm totally impressed as always with your stuff.

    Love the offspring's work too - you've obviously transferred some genes there along the way.

    TFS

    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The doll is beautiful, awesome work Nicks. Debs H

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS - Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your views. I am sorry I have had to add 'word verification' (i find it very annoying myself) but I am getting increasing amounts of spam - please don't let it stop you commenting xx