Someday, the altered art you make today will be
old, faded, falling apart, and someone else will salvage the bits and use them
in new altered art.It's the best that any piece of art can hope for

~ anon~


Click on the tabs below for some other stuff

............................................................................................................

Monday 29 March 2010

Just Experimenting and Playing with Paverpol

Lynne of The Altered Element sent me some transparent Paverpol for my first Design Team Challenge. I have used Paverpol before when I made 'Tilly' for my best friends birthday last year, but I haven't used it before for it's transparent properties. I have a Work In Progress (sneak peak on post below) but I wanted to see just how transparent it is and what effect it would have on coloured/patterned materials. Mostly Paverpol seems to be used to make figurines but I wanted to try something a bit different, so I made a bowl.
I played around dyeing some ordinary dishcloths with some colourwash sprays, and although I liked the result, the colours aren't right for the WIP so I cut some into thin strips and dipped into the Paverpol and wound very randomly around a metal bowl which I had prepared by covering with clingfilm - PP will stick to metal but not plastic.
I also used some strips of organza to add some 'form' to the shape - this worked OK but did lose its 'shimmer' and some Angelina fibres to add some sparkle  - left it all to try overnight and i am really pleased with the result. It is really very firm and therefore quite usable. When it was dry and I was able to remove it from the bowl and remove the clingfilm, I gave it a very brief blast with my heatgun to tamper the Angelina fibres down a bit


So here is the final result with a light spray of Cosmic Shimmers - I really like it






Upcycling seems to be the 'buzz word' ATM and I have been contacted by Betty Jones asking whether I would be willing to mention her site and her 100 amazing upcycling ideas - take a look, some brilliant ideas, I have already started knitting with carrier bags! also whilst blog hopping I came across this lovely site
Going Green Crafters and Artists - worth a look!


Right I'm off to play some more with the Paverpol - if you want more info about it check out http://www.paverpol-uk.co.uk/

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this is really COOL! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool art...i have not a clue what Paverpol is...sounds like a Tube station ROFL...love the upcycling idea though...means I get to alter more trash LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colours and a good idea.
    Not as good as 'tilly' though lol
    Sparkles

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful and amazing! I don't know what Paverpol is either. This is so imaginative and a wonderful technique. If I was a bird, this would be my nest!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not something I have heard of before but love the results. I can see I have to do a bit of research now :-)
    A x

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS - Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your views. I am sorry I have had to add 'word verification' (i find it very annoying myself) but I am getting increasing amounts of spam - please don't let it stop you commenting xx